Date:      08 Nov 2002 10:55:51 -0500
From:      Jim Frost <jimf@frostbytes.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regular crash with 4.6-stable (ipfw causes daily panic)

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 10:25, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 10:12 AM 08/11/2002 -0500, Jim Frost wrote:
> >On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 09:14, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > > Check the archives for a discussion about this exact issue.
> >
> >Ok, been trying to dig that out for 20 minutes now.  Can you give me a
> >hint as to what keyword(s) I should search for, or when it might have
> >been discussed?
>
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ipfw+periodic+stable+crash&sa=N&tab=wg&meta=
>
> ie. search google groups with the keywords ipfw periodic stable crash

Well, silly me for trying to use the mailing list archive search tool
instead of google :-).

Thanks, with that information I found that it had been narrowed down to
ipv6 support, and possibly mpd.  I still haven't found a recommendation
for a fix or workaround, so let me provide one for those poor suckers
like me who run into it.

In /etc/defaults/periodic change the following to "NO".

# 500.ipfwdenied
daily_status_security_ipfwdenied_enable="NO"

# 550.ipfwlimit
daily_status_security_ipfwlimit_enable="NO"

# 600.ip6fwdenied
daily_status_security_ip6fwdenied_enable="NO"

# 650.ip6fwlimit
daily_status_security_ip6fwlimit_enable="NO"

Some of that might be overkill, I dunno.

The best discussion (of only two) that I found in the archives is
initiated by:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=126466+0+archive/2002/freebsd-stable/20020616.freebsd-stable

From what I get out of that, I could probably make this stop by
recompiling without ipv6 support.  This being more difficult than just
not using the feature that's causing the crash, I chose the latter.

jim