Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:05:19 -0600
From:      Sean Welch <Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.3-RELEASE hw.ata.atapi_dma and DRI questions

I've two questions I'm hoping can be answered quickly.

After installing 5.3-RELEASE on my Dell Inspiron 8000 I put the
following into /boot/loader.conf as per usual (previous) convention:

hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

Though the sysctl does get set at boot the dvd drive still attaches as
PIO4 instead of WDMA2.  I can use atacontrol after boot to get full
dma speed out of it but why does this not happen at boot with the
sysctl set?

The second question has to do with DRI.  I upgraded my graphics card
to a Radeon Mobility 7500 with 64 MB of RAM a while back (it's an M7)
and it has been working quite well.  This is the first time I've
attempted to run Xorg on any of my installs (I have two others on the
same disk) and I'm seeing some rather strange behavior.  Namely,
/var/log/Xorg.0.log claims that DRI is enabled but glxinfo and the
speed of glxgears testify to indirect rendering only.  The section
from the log is as follows:

(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled

I'm using the same config file I've been using for 3 revisions of 5.x
and 4.x under XFree but with the BusID line removed and the file
renamed to xorg.conf (just to be consistent).  Any ideas?  Has anyone
else seen this?  I'm just using the Xorg packages from the install
disc with the GENERIC kernel that shipped with the release.
Permissions are correct on the dev entry, the console message looks
normal, and there are no errors loading the kernel module but I can't
use acceleration at all!

Sean