Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:55:10 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        "Goodleaf, John" <JGoodleaf@ctiseattle.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: <do not read if OT annoys you> group coding standards

On Monday 07 June 2004 20:10, Goodleaf, John wrote:
>    Hello,
>    I'm abusing the mailing list because many of you are sickeningly
>    clever and have long experience in IT. I'm working to establish a
>    document (yep) providing guidance for our company's
>    small-but-growing IT group with regard to coding standards and
>    practices. It seems rife with potential problems and there is
>    already the potential for one of those variable-naming holy wars
>    (e.g. intVariableName, varname, VarName, varName). So my question:
>    is there a good document out there on the net somewhere, maybe
>    hiding at a University site from which I can draw for general
>    consideration? Any experiences? Recommendations?
>
>    It's a hard problem. How do you provide conventions that don't annoy
>    the hell out of programmers, but which ensure that legibile,
>    maintainable code is left?

Well, other programmers may have a different opinion, but I can at least tell
you what I would prefer:
I would have no problems with coding standards that allow you to clean up
_after_ a session, because I lose half of my good ideas while bothering with
coding standards. Good would be some convention where you can just modify
your code with sed(1) afterwards, that's not much overhead.

Daniela