Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:36:25 -0500
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        chad@pengar.com, Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, Kirill Ponomarew <ponomare@uni-duesseldorf.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: troubles with Adaptec 29160 ULTRA160 SCSI

On Sunday, February 11, 2001 07:15:34 -0500, "Chad Leigh, Pengar Ent Inc &
Shire.Net LLC" <chad@pengar.com> wrote:
+-----
| Hi
|
| Yes, I concur.  I had similar problems on an Adaptec 3985 (788x based)
| where I changed out a cable and the messages went away and so did the
| physical hanging problems I was having.
|
| Chad
|
| --On Sunday, February 11, 2001 9:13 AM +0200 Danny Braniss
| <danny@cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:
|
| > i've had similar problems, in my case after changing cable/terminator
| > the problem was fixed.
+--->8

Absolutely.  I just tracked down a SCSI problem that variously manifested
as hangs, disk errors, or sometimes not at all depending on what devices
were plugged/unplugged as improper termination of the last device on the
narrow leg on the SCSI chain.  (Interestingly, the problem had existed for
several *years* but only caused problems when I plugged a wide device in.)
SCSI is notorious for this kind of behavior.

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery@ece.cmu.edu