Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:32:30 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux 2.6.16 causes zombie processes with linux-opera

As near as I can determine, this only happens if I set the sysctl
compat.linux.osrelease to 2.6.16.

This is on a system running CURRENT

(7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Jan 25 20:30:57 EST 2007)

When I close linux opera, a zombied process remains.  The parent PID is
1.

Each time I open and then close opera, one and sometimes two, zombied
processes remain.

Therefore, if I've been browsing the web on and off for awhile, and do a
pgrep opera, I might have a list of 20 or more PIDs, all zombies.

Removing the compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16 line in /etc/sysctl.conf
fixes the problem.

(I haven't had this issue with acrobat or any other linux based
processes--hrm, on the other hand, I think the only ones I use are opera
and acrobat. )

Thanks for any pointers.  At present, I've simply commented out the line
in /etc/sysctl.conf

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )