Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:15:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Wehle <john@feith.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 for FreeBSD 5.2

> If I was building a little TV recorder, and wanted to use this driver,
> is thre a way of telling which Hauppauge cards I can and can not buy?

In theory WinTV-PVR-250 (model # 980), WinTV-PVR-250MCE (model # 975),
and WinTV-PVR-350 (model # 990).

There are various flavors of the cards with various tuners ... the
driver is currently being used with PVR 250 version 1 and version 2
cards as well as PVR 350 version 1 cards.  The driver has support
for Phillips, Temic, and LG Innotek tuners.

Due to the issues with different card flavors and different tuners
it's hard to tell if a specific card will work without taking it out
of the box and trying it.  It's likely to work, and if it doesn't
then it's likely to be an easy patch to the driver to add support
for the card.  However, there's always the possibility of a card
which is just different enough to make it a major ordeal to get
running.

Keep in mind that the driver only supports encoding audio with video.
There's no support for the radio or the MPEG decoder present on
some models.  Some of that may change in the future, however no
promises.

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |