Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 2000 21:14:12 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_dc in v4.0 - Forcing store and forward?

> At 10:48 PM 6/7/00 -0700, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
> >Peter Wemm wrote:
> >
> >> I suspect a generic chipset fault, or some design quirk that we are not
> >> working around.  Note that the windoze drivers for these devices put them
> >> permanently in store-and-forward mode.  if_de has the exact same problem on
> >> all of the systems above.
>
> Well we never saw these problems in v3.4...so what changed?

Either the driver changed, or your hardware.

As I've already pointed out, if your BIOS or board arrangement changed,
all bets are off.  As for the driver code, you have the CVS repo, go look
for yourself.

(Note: I have a number of systems using these devices, and I can't recall
 how long it's been since I saw a transmit underrun.  It's not an
 intrinsic feature of the device or driver, it has to be an interaction
 issue.)