Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2018 11:07:20 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: FCP-0101: Deprecating most 10/100 Ethernet drivers

Warner Losh wrote this message on Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 09:53 -0600:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:46 AM Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm willing to help out with rl(4) as I have one here. Others, not
> > scheduled for removal, that I can help one way or another are are NICs,
> > including wireless, currently installed here.
> >

> There's an iflib man page that's a decent place to start. The API has
> evolved over time, so corrections to the man page would be welcome (and
> committed as quickly as the freeze allows). I'm reading through the current
> iflib drivers to see which one would be best to recommend.

Can you recommend one?  It'd be nice to just document which driver you
should use as a reference in the iflib man page...

I looked briefly at converting awg over to iflib,
but the iflib man pages were very sparce in any text to describe what
each function needs to do...  It says it in very high level, which is
useful if you already know what needs to be done..  for example:
           ifdi_tx_queues_alloc()
           Mandatory function that is called during iflib_attach to allocate
           transmit queues.  vaddrs and paddrs are arrays of virtual and
           physical addresses respectively of the hardware transmit queues.
           ntxqs is the number of queues per qset.  ntxqsets is the number of
           qsets.

It says it allocates memory for the queue, but upon allocation where
does it put the values?  It sounds like vaddrs and paddrs arrays are
already allocated and you just use these addresses...  But there is no
way I can write code from this description...

Also, lots of terminology is missing, like what is a qset?

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579