Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:03:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make  yer kernels

> Perhaps when changes are made that require a buildkernel a "HEAD's UP"
> should be sent.  Then one must otherwise uncomment the MODULES_WITH_WORLD
> or expect to really be flamed for using the old kernel building
> method.  Not quite what Kris is saying, but is a bit of a compromise.

The problems with that include:

	not everyone reads the list (shocking as it may be :)
	keeping track for making a build with older sources (which should
		I do on sources from x/y/z to a/b/c?)

I think what it will come to is that there needs to be one way that's
smart enough to handle all the guts and gory for us, _including_ those
that just want to reconfigure WITHOUT a buildworld (isn't it highly
recommended that after installing from a snapshot/release/etc. that you
build a custom kernel anyway?)

maybe if we are smarter than the makefile,

	make buildkernel RECONFIGURE kernel=...

or if we're not, it could use an earlier suggestion of doing a uname to
fetch the kernel source and compare to what's currently there?

Just a few ideas and advancement of others