Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:37:15 -0400
From:      "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>, Shteryana Shopova <syrinx@FreeBSD.org>, "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Porting OpenBSD's sysctl hw.sensors framework to FreeBSD (was: Re: PERFORCE change 123040 for review)

On 10/07/2007 14:33, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
>There are so many different flavours of HW monitoring chips
> and several tools that can read them live in ports.  Lots of them are
> slightly different, intefaces can be i2c or direct I/O.

Please, enlighten me which of these several tools were updated in the
last few years. Most hardware monitoring tools in the ports tree are
outdated and no longer being maintained: xmbmon, healthd, lmmon,
consolehm, wmhm etc. Several of these have a last-modified date of 2000,
that's 7 years ago!

Please note that this framework is not limited to monitoring temperature
and fan speed sensors -- it also allows one to monitor raid array status
and a few other things.

Moreover, in OpenBSD and NetBSD these kinds of in-kernel frameworks are
used to display ipmi(4) sensors, too.

Monitoring of remote machines with this framework is also possible --
with symon from ports.  Querying local machines is as easy as running
sysctl or systat, and alerts can be generated through sensorsd.

Cheers,
Constantine.