Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:36:29 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        lh@aus.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard drive soft errors

Well, history repeats. Some time ago I had similar problem on my
3d WD Caviar (340Mb) drive. I began immediatly to transfer data
on clean space with removing sources. Of course some of data on WD
couldnt be read. But I didnt care. When finished I removed partition
165 partition from WD, *wrote* changes, then created partition again
(superfluous movement IMHO)
then scanned it for bad blocks then... I dont remember exactly wether
newfs'ed wether simply mounted. There mirical began:
directory tree remained intact moreover I could read data that I couldnt read
previously !!! Here U are. Anyway backup ur data before U'll do smth.
Luke wrote:

> Could anyone tell me what these mean or where I could find out about them?
>
> /kernel: wd0s1b: soft error reading fsbn 87144 of 87136-87151 (wd0s1 bn 189544;
> cn 191 tn 25 sn 4) (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 40<uncorr>)
> /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout (status 59<rdy,seekdone,drq,err> error
> 40<uncorr>)
> /kernel: wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
> /kernel: wd0s1b: soft error reading fsbn 35609 of 35608-35647 (wd0s1 bn 138009;
> cn 139 tn 22 sn 3) (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>)
>
> I had problems in the past with this machines IDE controller [Acer] which was
> fixed by turning DMA off for the IDE controllers, but it had been working for
> some time without error.
>
> P.S. I am not on the list

WBW  Andy V. Oleynik            (When U work in virtual office
prime.net.ua's                   U have good chance to obtain
system administrator             virtual money ö%-)
+380442448363