Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:49:49 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        gerti-freebsds@bitart.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Random signal 9 (SIGKILL), please help!

* Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com> [000328 20:36] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a large software package running on a lot of machines and
> several Unixes.
>
> Only on the FreeBSD systems I see that child processes occasionaly
> get killed bya signal 9, and I just can't figure out why.
>
> Syslog does not give any indication. The machines do not swap (I
> know processes mayget killed when the systems run out of swap
> space). The times at which the processesare killed does seem to
> be random, meaning it does not seem dome house keeping codethat
> causes it.
>
> The processes are spawned from various daemons, and are killed
> at different pointsin their existence, even when just barely
> started and no resources to mention areconsumed yet.
>
> All processes run as root, so 'limit' should not be the cause.
>
> Is there anything else but the swapper that can trigger a 'signal
> 9' to be sent toprocesses?
>
> The systems in question run a variety of versions, starting from
> 3.2 Release to afairly recent (4 weeks) 3.4 stable.
>
> Any tips and ideas would be more than welcome.

Please wrap lines at 70 characters.

This is on all the FreeBSD systems?  This is really confusing I've
_never_ heard of this happening, do you have any machines built
with the same _exact_ hardware exibiting the same problems or not?

Have you tried 4.0?  Without some sample code this is going to
be very hard to reproduce.

Are you sure you aren't running out of process slots?  What is
maxusers set to in the kernel?  How many processes typically
run at the same time?