Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 22:12:30 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Conclusion to "NT vs. Unix" debate

I think John Fieber made some comments that I can only agree with.
Wes Peters did so too. Please read their messages for more details.

(This of course has nothing to do with them at least partially
agreeing with me. :) )

The point I was trying to make, is not whether NT is better or Unix
is. I know ftp.com is the busiest server in the world. I know that
FreeBSD usually performs better on the same platform. The discussion
has turned into a "why X is better than Y" and you're bound to lose
that on a FreeBSD mailing list.

Perhaps I should say that I really want an Amiga, but then with a
500 Mhz Alpha chip. The Amiga had a pre-emptive multitasking OS
that ran in 256 Kb. Though some parts were a bit clumsy, the base
was very good. The basic type was a Node (ordered in a List), from
which you could derive (yes, object-orientation in C) a Task, a
Library, a Device or any system structure.

The GUI was good and getting better, so was the shell. ARexx was
the third interface. This altogether made a system that, as I think
of it, was better than Unix (despite it's excellent shell) or
Windows 95/NT 4.0 (despite it's GUI). The fact that not all
applications supported all functions of the system, doesn't make
the system less powerfull.

The Amiga has some functions that I really really miss in other
OS's. Writing your own installer application in some sort of
Lisp-like language - no need for InstallShield. Assigning logical
names to devices, directories or drives. Installing new devices or
filesystems while the system was running.

But the market has been divided. You basically have MS, the Mac,
some Unixes and dedicated OS's, like real-time OS's (but they are
a niche market anyway).

At the moment, a Unix server (probably any Unix server) is more
suited for something like an Internet-server than an NT server, be
it for mail, news, ftp or http.

Trouble is, most non-Intel platforms will be having a hard time to
survive, simply because of the tremendous costs to build a new
plant. Intel is somewhat the Microsoft of the hardware world: they
could have released the Pentium II months earlier, but there simply
was no need. Alpha is your best bet in processor architectures,
as it comes to who survives Intel the longest. What company can
put own $1,000,000,000 for a new processor?

As about GUI's, opinions differ and probably will be differing for
quite some time. In my view, a GUI is not something that you should
be able to configure to the max, it's a way of representing data
in a consistent way to the user. The book I read was the Amiga User
Interface Style Guide. Yes, there's a lot of psychology behind it
as well. That's something very difficult for a programmer.

I also have the opinion that a computer should be easy to use.
Look, for instance, at an ATM. In the Netherlands, you put in your
card, type your secret code, select the amount of money, take your
card, take your money. In Belgium, you choose the amount of money
_before_ you enter your secret code. In the States, you get your
money before you get your card back - so Dutch people tend to forget
their card. Personally, I think the Dutch version is the most
logical sequence to get money from a machine.

If you link it to personal computers, probably the easiest to use
is a Windows machine. I have told people how to configure dial-up
networking over the phone, people who didn't even know how to move
a window. It just wouldn't have been possible with a Unix machine.
The Mac is even more easy to use, but it has other problems.

So, if you limit yourself to an environment that basically text-
oriented, you put yourself in a pretty small market. And you
can't provide the coupling to those popular applications that come
from Redmond, WA. And despite Motif and CDE, they aren't standard
like the prescribed standard of MS is.

If I look at FreeBSD, even sysinstall has it quirks. I always end
up pressing the wrong buttons and that's because the buttons (and
keys) keep changing functions. The "Cancel" button changes into
an "Install" button all of a sudden.

Basically, that's what I want to say. I also realize that making
a good GUI is very difficult and takes tremendous resources. It
should be done with the other free Unixes, it's too big for just
FreeBSD.

But I think that the hack-heads who do everything from a tty and
who have a lot of influence on the development of FreeBSD, should
consider the world outside who's in need of GUI's.

- Peter