Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:16:14 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf usage

At 13:39 +0000 1/15/02, David Malone wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 07:06:18PM -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:
>>  Is there any tool that shows the process or port to which mbufs are
>>  associated?  One of my systems is showing 10K mbufs in use but there
>>  are only 2 tcp connections established and a couple of udp active
>>  processes.  Trafshow shows nothing unusual.  Very light load on the
>>  server but someting is eating mbufs.
>
>Some of Ian's libkvm tools might be useful:
>
>	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~iedowse/projects.html
>
>David.

Thanks for the tip.  I tried them and they give a very accurate
picture of tcp/ip usage of mbufs.  Unfortunately, it shows the same
results as netstat - around 100 mbufs in use.  However, netstat -m
shows almot 10K in use.  One of the tools shows the contents of the
mbufs and many are completely nulls and others are obviously left
over buffers as they have log file contents from weeks ago.  What
besides tcp/ip uses mbufs?  Can mbufs become orphaned?
--
-- Doug