Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 22:04:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        EmailWeb@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Users can't loggin now!

Perhaps you were hacked, but also consider that you could have caused this
problem, or a hardware failure could be the cause.

You could have deleted a line in fstab by accident or perhaps messed up
the devices in some way.  Mistakes of all kinds happen to everyone.  If
things are really hosed, it is probably best to back it up and try to put
the server back together from past backups.

One way to determine how bad it is would be to boot into single user mode
and have a look around.  Once you are in, you will need to mount the
drives...

> fsck -p
> mount -u /
> mount -a -t ufs
> swapon -a

Once you have a good look around, try to find evidence of a
compromise.  If you can get the system working to a decent point, it would
be best to do a rebuild of the world to be sure all key binaries are
solid.  Do the rebuild after a fresh cvs sync.

But if you are worried about the security of the machine, simply do a
reinstall and go off backups.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?