Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:30:06 +0100
From:      Gerald Heinig <heinig@hdz-ima.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Black tuesday :-(

Hi all,

I regret to announce what I believe may be my first *ever* crash of
FreeBSD (3.3 RELEASE at the moment), or at least as far as I remember. A
few details: I had netscape iconified (Navigator and Messenger) and I´m
in the habit of ifconfig´ing my interface (sync PPPoISDN) down after
fetching mail or whatever. I know, I don´t really need to, but it´s a
habit :-)
The only things that are out of the ordinary this time are

a) I made my ifconfig setuid root (I have no security concerns here) to
spare me the su every time (yes, I know, lazy bum...). I´ve had it this
way for maybe a month or two, and I fetch mail at least twice a day.

b) I normally exit Netscape after reading mail/whatever, as opposed to
iconifying it this time.

I ifconfig´ed up isp0, did a fetchmail and got the BIOS message. In
other words: fetchmail... 3 seconds...blank screen...BIOS startup
message.
 No message at all from the kernel. My suspicion is with the hardware,
since if the kernel gets its knickers in a twist, it should at least say
something. I can´t imagine the stuff with Netscape and ifconfig having
anything to do with this either, but I´ve included it for completeness.
My hardware is a AVM Fritz! ISA card which has given me *flawless*
performance thus far.

Any comments on this?

Also, I´d like a few tips on how to go about preparing for a repeat. I
assume this bug (if indeed it is a bug!) is *very* rare, since, give or
take a protocol message or two in earlier versions, I haven´t heard so
much as a squeak from my setup for several months.

Cheers

Gerald