Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:36:20 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good, cheap 100BaseT Ethernet cards?

At 05:22 PM 12/14/98 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

>The Netgear unit you've mentioned will work OK (it's a 'de' card)

Not anymore. They have a proprietary chipset now, and the ones that
use the DEC chipset are gone.

>just about any "NE2000-compatible" ISA card will be fine.  If possible,
>get one with jumpers rather than a setup program...

Is there such a thing as an "NE2000-compatible" 100BaseT card? As far
as I can tell, they're all 10BaseT and half duplex. (We currently
have an NE1000 clone, believe it or not, in one of our servers.
It works fine (it can outrun a T1, and that's the feed it's on),
but it's due for an upgrade to handle increased traffic on the local
LANs. Those LANs are going up to 100 Mbps, with switches, soon.

--Brett