Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:45:02 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: analyzing freebsd core dumps

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 10:18:09AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 08:04:07AM +0200, Mister Olli wrote:
> > hi list...
> >
> > I have a freebsd maschine running for more 6 months without any
> > problems.
> > the machine's only service is to be an openvpn gateway for a hand of
> > users.
> >
> > 2 weeks ago the first problems started. the openvpn exited with signal
> > 11 and 4 and core dumps were written.
> >
> > the same happend yesterday with the postfix/cleanup process, and the
> > suddenly the machine rebooted without any further log messages.
> >
> > what is the best way to troubleshoot the cause of this problem?
>
> Signal 11 happening "out of no where" on machines which have been
> running fine, most of the time, is a sign of hardware failure (usually
> RAM, but sometimes motherboard or PSU).  The fact you got a reboot is
> also further evidence of this.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#SIGNAL11
>
> I would recommend taking the machine offline and running something like
> memtest86+ on it for 6-7 hours.  Any errors seen are a pretty good sign
> that you should replace the memory or the motherboard.  You can
> download an ISO or floppy disk images here:
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> Bottom line is that this is probably a hardware issue.

Could also be a contacts if it is not the actual memory or board.
A marginal contact where something is plugged in can over time
build up deposits that make it fail.   Of course, this is still
a hardware problem, but can often be cured by reseating everything.
If it is bad enough, it could also be exacerbated by reseating
everything.

////jerry