Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:14:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>, "Vnotchenko S.S." <sergey@extech.msk.su>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [H] Optimal computer for FreeBSD

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >  Always use parity RAM on servers, especially if you are buying
> >everything from scratch.
> >  EDO doesn't give you much of a improvement if your motherboard supports
> >pipeline-burst-cache.
>
> My guess is that it doesn't, since the cache is built into the CPU...
> :-)

	Actually, from what Rodney Grimes had told me, the cache built
into the CPU is the L1 (Level 1) cache while the L2 cache is the cache on
the motherboard, with Pipeline Burst Caching, it will give like the same
improvement EDO ram will give with a non-PBC Cache but if used in
conjunction with PBC, the increase isn't that big to make much of a
difference.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]