Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:33:37 +0100
From:      Stephan Fiebrandt <bsd@kuehlbox.de>
To:        Sebastian Holmqvist <sebastian.holmqvist@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which Sata-controller card?

Sebastian Holmqvist wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:44:12 +0100, Sebastian Holmqvist
><sebastian.holmqvist@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>3ware SATA controller cards. These are "true" RAID controller cards
>>>instead of the tons of "ata" controllers with bios extentions witch are
>>>nothing else than a "softwareraid". 3ware cont. also preserve your CPU
>>>from high load as you would have with usual ATA cont.
>>>
>>>Myself, i am using 3ware now with FreeBSD since years.. only can report
>>>good experience. I also had defekt controllers from the old 6000series
>>>replaced with new 7500 series without loosing any data.
>>>
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>Stephan Fiebrandt
>>>

>>ALright.
>>Well, won't be using raid. Forgot to mention that.
>>So feel free to suggest cheaper cards without raid :)
>>

>>--
>>
>>Sebastian Holmqvist
>>Webprogrammer / HL2 modder
>>http://cae.hl2files.com
>>

>Nobody?

If you just need to expand your Mainboard with a SATA Controller, all
you need is a poor card with a Silicon chip on it (Sil 3112 etc). I've
seen cards starting at 10$. Almost all low-cost cards have this chip
series, meanwhile on 5.3 it should work now without any problems. The
WRITE_DMA issues should be solved and commited to 5.3.

Have also a look at the 5.3 hardware list:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html#DISK.

Best regards,

Stephan Fiebrandt