Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2019 17:49:42 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: Permissions when moving storage devices between hosts

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 10:33:23AM +1030, O'Connor, Daniel wrote:

> > On 27 Oct 2019, at 03:09, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> > The plan was to re-run the bonnie test on the second host to see if the
> > choice of host made much difference. Alas, after mounting the card, all
> > owners/groups are freebsd/freebsd and I can't get permission to write
> > any files, at least as a regular user. The usernames are the same on
> > both hosts and I'm hesitant to try mucking about with ownerships.
> > It does not seem possible to simply add world-write permissions to the
> > test directory using chmod +w as root.
>
> Is it mounted read/write?
> ie show the output of 'mount'.

No, I wanted to add write permission, which failed silently even
when chmod was run by root. .

> Also note that the filesystem only stores user IDs not user names.
>
> ie you might have a user called 'freebsd' on two systems but with different IDs and if you move an FS between them you can have issues.

That was probably the mistake I made. Like usernames, but unlike IDs.

> That said, root should be able to change the permissions (or just write since being root skips permission checks). If it can't then it seems more like it isn't mounted read/write for whatever reason (write protect tab on the SD card set by accident?)

In the end, it was enough to just chown the one directory I needed to
write to. I didn't want to run the disk test as root

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska