Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 08:53:10 -0600
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, phk@ref.tfs.com
Subject:   Re:  fsck buglet

>  If I say "fsck -n /dev/rfd0", wouldn't it make sense for fsck to return
>  a non-zero exit code if any trouble were found ?
>
>  As it is it will return zero no matter what it finds...

philosophically, I think only the preen option ("-p") should return a status.

I can see that you want to check out floppies, but people will also run fsck
on mounted filesystem. If the filesystem is mounted, then at least the
"clean flag" in the superblock will be wrong giving you the nonzero return
status.

if you change "fsck -n" that a "problem" exists, (honest question not trying
to be a smart-ass) then should you add a return code that a "problem" was
solved with "fsck [-y | -p | ]" to be consistant?

--mark.