Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:47:05 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, re-builders@FreeBSD.org, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Subject:   Re: make readmes not in CHROOTDIR?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 02:57:31PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Why not build RC's on beast?  It is faster than your ds20 so you could do
> > a more full release; and home BW becomes a non-issue.
>
> Because I still have to test it locally.

  Yes I've run into this myself with the i386 releases.  For release
candidates and such, I've taken to downloading just what I need to
(packages) and then rebuilding my own release to match the one built
remotely on the freebsd-current.sentex.ca machines.  I then assemble
the ISO image on my local network and test it, and if it is OK, I
assemble the ISO image on freebsd-current.sentex.ca the same way.  I
would be uncomfortable doing that for the absolutely final release,
but for release candidates and things where getting the release into
peoples hands quickly is imperative, I think it works well.  It saves
5 hours or so of transferring the output of make release from my home
network to ftp-master, but I still have to download the packages if I
want to test those with the release.  Obviously, this model is ideal
if your downstream is quicker than your upstream connection.

   - Murray