Date:      Tue, 01 Nov 2016 18:44:46 +0100
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   pax(1) needs to learn POSIX-pax format (by libarchive(3)?)

 Dear hackers,

I'm frequently missing pax(1) ability to handle the pax (the POSIX pax)
format.
Backing up real-world file names and lengths doesn't work with ustar
format - which pax(1) uses and also tar(1) by default.

I'd prefer using pax(1) because of it's cli usage – personal taste…
But in practice, I'm forced to use tar(1), overriding tar's default
format with the "--format pax" (or --posix) option, for almost any
archive/backup job (where zfs send isn't feasible).
Since tar(1) does support the POSIX pax format, it's not a big issue,
but weird using tar for pax and pax for tar ;-)
I'd love pax(1) beeing libarchive(3)ed.

Has anyone ever thought about? Unfortunately I'm lacking skills and time :-(

Thanks,

-harry