Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:17:45 -0500
From:      "Hensley, Ed" <Ed.Hensley@GMACInsurance.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Bloodhound.MBR virus question

Dear FreeBSD Supporters,

I recently bought the FreeBSD 4.0 package and installed it on my IBM Aptiva
PC. I used the Dual-boot method, i.e., defraged the disk (8GB), and used the
CD-ROM Boot method of installing the release on a new disk partition created
by the install process. This all worked fine, and I was able to boot up
Windows 98, or FreeBSD when I turned on my PC.

Then the Windows 98 selection started giving me a notice (from Norton) that
I had the Bloodhound.MBR virus in the Master Boot Record. At first I ignored
this (answered NO to letting Norton fix it), and whenever I booted FreeBSD I
had no problems, minus some installation options like sound card not
working. My first thought was that the Norton software just did not
understand that I had a dual boot set up on the PC.

However, since then I have started to be concerned because Windows is
constantly killing applications...seemingly randomly. Of course, this is not
too inconsistent with the way windows runs anyway, so it took me a few days
before I started to get concerned.

My questions is...Is there a known problem, or situation, where the Master
Boot Record is mistakenly thought to be a virus, specifically the
Bloodhound.MBR virus?
Or should I really be concerned and try to eliminate the virus, and
re-install my systems?

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions that may be forthcoming.
Thank you.

Edward D Hensley
ehensle@atglobal.net (home)

Ed.Hensley@gmacinsurance.com (work)

Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.