Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 14:01:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ksmfs in bsd/sunos kernels...

> Linux has ksmfs (a Samba file system...)

This file system has some significant problems.  It took 3 years to ferret
out similar problems in the Novell NUC (NetWare UNIX Client) design.

The major issue is that the authenticated credentials are not multiplexed;
I talked this over with Andrew on the Samba list in some detail and at
some length.

> Is this available on freebsd?

No, but it would be an easy port.  The problem, as always, is GPL.  It
can't be distributed as part of the kernel unless the GPL restrictions
are removed.  It could be distributed as a loadable module IFF the
sources were placed under LGPL instead of GPL (which only requires the
ability to relink, and that's what loading a kernel module is).

> I like it, its fairly clever...

8-|

> Anyone want to point me at something to look at (code preferred)
> on how to register a file system in a device driver (I assume
> it works almost the same was in SunOS and BSD?)

All of the filesystems in BSD are loadable.  It's just that some are
intentionally statically linked in order to bootstrap the system.

You can look at the contents and subdirectory contents of any directory
ending in "fs" in the kernel sources.  That is:

	/sys/*fs/*
and	/sys/*fs/*/*

> Linux has 2 calls {register/unregister}_filesystem() to add
> filesystems at run time...

VNODEOP_SET()

> This seems preferable instead of forcing PCs to run  nfs...

Depends on your point of view.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---