Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 09:45:40 +1000
From:      Joe Shevland <shevlandj@kpi.com.au>
To:        Bob K <melange@yip.org>
Cc:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Transparent proxies and fetch

Thanks for the responses and advice. I also had a newsgroup poster send in the
fact that you can:

<quote from mikko>
Try "make FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=-tb", or add "FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=-tb" to
/etc/make.conf.  I don't have a 3.x machine to test with, but that
should do it.
</quote>

which I believe will work as the -b option usually works when I try that. Mikko
reported it is because fetch closes down its sending end before receiving the
reply and the above causes it to hold it open.

Regards,
Joe

Bob K wrote:

> On Thu, 25 May 2000, Steve Roome wrote:
>
> > Then again, someone might have a better solution, but IMHO I think
> > it's quite rude of ISP's to divert your traffic without letting you
> > know about it, imagine how you'd feel if they started diverting all
> > your outgoing port23 connections and archiving everything that went
> > down that line.
> >
> > Others may feel differently about it though! And it's becoming far too
> > standard a practice now, so maybe we're supposed to move with the
> > times and accept it? I dunno!
>
> Well, I work for an ISP that does exactly this (automatic proxy/cache of
> http), and the reason we do it is because it saves thousands of dollars a
> month by cutting our inbound traffic roughly in half.
>
> A workaround if the ISP is unwilling to exclude your IP from the
> redirection (like, if you're on dialup with a dynamic IP, for example)
> would be to to use a SOCKS server that's not on your ISP's network.
>
> ***
> Another workaround would be to try to grab the files manually through ftp
> (or saved through a web browser) and stick 'em in /usr/ports/distfiles/ .
> ***
>
> However, I know for a fact that fetch (at least on 3.4R) has no problems
> with Cacheflow 3040 boxes deployed.  I suspect that the problem looks like
> this:
>
> - fetch sends out the http:// request
> - the ISP's gateway redirects it to a caching box
> - the caching box makes the request to the server
> - for some reason, there's a delay
> - a timer expires in fetch, causing the "Document contains no
> data" error.  I would expect that it would return a different error if the
> timer was expiring on the caching box (as the box would return an error as
> opposed to nothing) or on the server you were trying to fetch from (for
> the same reason).
>
> fetch appears to have a timeout switch, ie -T [seconds].  Perhaps you
> could try inserting very high timeout values into the Makefiles?
>
> --
> Bob <melange@yip.org>
> "Reality is the only word in the language that should always be used
>                                 in quotes" - The Amityville Horror III

Joe Shevland
Principal Consultant
KPI Logistics Pty Ltd