Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 18:46:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        blair@oddis.cyber-naut.com (Blair Schmittel)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Question about 'serial' cdrom.

> I am forwarding this message to the mailing list.  This involves FreeBSD:
>
> "I called the company that made it.  Mine is a Serial CD-Rom,  This
> is cuz the cdrom runs at 300kbs which a short serial line can handle.
> If Unix can handle a serial modem, shouldnt it be able to run a serial
> cd????"
>
> I think the 'company' refers to Walnut Creek.
>
> Anyway, could somebody please answer his question?

No problem.  Just write a block device driver that uses the tty
port for the serial connector you connect it to and incorportates the
protocol that the CDROM manufacturer has documented for you to talk
to the thing.

Then mount the block device you added after you fixed the MAKEDEV
script to know about your new block device driver.

---

As you can see, this is tantamount to asking "If Donald is the
name of a duck, then all ducks are named Donald, right?"

---

Probably you will need to copy the files to the DOS partition, build
a boot disk with rawrite, and boot and mount the MS-DOS partition.

This should work as long as you didn't use FIPS.EXE or PRESIZE.EXE to
change the size of your DOS partition (or at least only changed it
as much as would not cause a cluster size change).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.