Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 23:18:13 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        jbrann@panix.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI AHA 2940 boot problem

> Henri Bigatti wrote...
> >     I'm user of Linux and I'm trying to change to FreBSD, but I had many
> > problems.
> >     My configuration is :
> >       Pentium 133MHz with Adaptec AHA2940 BIOS v1.21 controller, HD 1G and
> > CDRom 6x, all of hem SCSI.
> >     My problem is during de boot, whem the SCSI controller isn't recognized,
> > by the software.
> >
> >     I would be very grateful for any help!
> >
> >   Thanks,
> >   Mr. Henri Bigatti
> >

> Whoa!  The 2940 has been supported since 2.0.5 950412 SNAP (I know 'cos
> I had to wait for it :-)).  The ahc0 driver should find the scsi card with
> no problems.  What release are you trying to install?
>
> John

He's probably got a 2940U (Ultra) that has a different PCI device ID which
is why it isn't recognized.  Use the latest SNAP to install; support for
the Adaptec Ultra cards should be in there if I'm not mistaken.

You can find the latest SNAP at:

  ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/2.2-960323-SNAP/...

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org