Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:52:25 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        L Campbell <llc2w@virginia.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, d@delphij.net
Subject:   Re: Xorg strange behavior

L Campbell writes:

>  I experienced the same symptoms after the recent upgrade. I found
>  that rebuilding x11-servers/xorg-server without HAL fixed the
>  problem. I think there are a couple of other ways to fix it, but
>  AFAIK the root of the problem is HAL not playing nicely with
>  other components (ie, moused).

	I currently have X running with HAL and without those
symptoms.  I _believe_ the cure, as discused, was

	a) rebuilding libxcb per UPDATING
	b) rebuilding xorg-server
	c) adding

        Option  "AllowEmptyInput"                "off"
        Option  "AutoAddDevices"                 "off"

	to the ServerFlags section on the config file.

	While we're talking about symptoms ... anyone else having
problems with NumLock/CapsLock?  At the moment, once activated the
effect is permanent (have to restart X); further presses change the
keyboard light, but not the state (i.e. all characters ARE NOW
CAPS).

					Robert Huff