Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 22:30:33 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fsck not cleaning all errors?

Hi folks,

I recently noticed the following behavior: I was in the process of copying
a whole lot of files to a filesystem with softupdates turned on. During
that operation, my machine crashed (this was more or less intentionally, as
I did it for debugging purposes). Now, after the machine had rebooted, fsck
ran. After fsck had seemingly solved all problems, the boot process
continued and the machine resumed multi user operation.

*However* when I did a "shutdown -now" just after the machine had fully
booted and then unmounted my /usr filesystem and manually re-ran fsck on
it, I received a report of a whole lot of incosistencies.

Now, why is that so? I thought that the automatic boot-up fsck after the
crash should have fixed my filesystem, so I don't understand why I get a
lot of (correctable) errors when unmounting and fscking my filesystem a
second time.

Is there any logical explanation for this?

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany