Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:28:11 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buffer Problems and hangs in 4.0-CURRENT..

* Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net> [000312 13:20] wrote:

> > >   Hello,
> > >
> > >  I am getting the following errors out of FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT trying to
> > > run an IRC server, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or recommended
> > > tunables I should set??
> > >

> > > Mar  9 22:32:03 u /usr/ircd/undernet/ircd[154]: Unable to create auth socket for [@163.152.216.46]:No buffer space available
> > > Mar  9 22:32:03 u /usr/ircd/undernet/ircd[154]: Unable to create auth socket for [@208.164.193.201]:No buffer space available
> > > Mar  9 22:33:00 u syslogd: sendto: No buffer space available
> >
> > I'm assuming you haven't tuned a single thing, therefor you'll want
> > to double "maxusers" in your kernel config file.
> >
> > It would help if you told us the configuration of the machine so that
> > I felt comfortable giving more specific tunables without worrying
> > about them causing other problems because of lack of RAM.
> >
> > -Alfred
>

>  Howdy,
>
>  Not a whole lot done, I had the MAXUSERS set to 128, though am about to
> bump it to 256 when I rebuild to see if that helps.  I used to have some
> tunables for BSDI when I used it, but when I tried to apply them to FBSD
> it bitched about them being unknown so I just left them out.  Was also
> going to move NMBCLUSTERS up to 20480, not sure if thats the solution or
> not.  I can post the whole config if desired, but really it's very close
> to the GENERIC except I added SOFTUPDATES, and removed all the drivers I
> didn't need for my system to hopefully slim it down some..

grrrr, you _still_ haven't even told me how much RAM is in the box
and what else it does if anything.

Without that kind of information I'm not too comfortable giving
advice on tuneables because I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TUNING :), when
I've just blindly told people to increase NMBCLUSTERS they've had
other problems because the kernel's network buffers wired down all
the machine's memory.

Yes, increasing NMBLCUSTERS is a good thing, but without your
configuration it's hard to say how much to increase it.