Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:15:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI devices settling and illegal request

Mark Nipper writes:
 > On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 04:01:55PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 > >  > 	Is there an easy way to capture the output without having
 > >  > to copy it all down by hand?  I recall the SRM console supporting
 > >  > pipes and redirects, but I've never actually done it myself.
 > >
 > > Use a serial console if you can.
 > >
 > > I'm mainly concerned with seeing what hose all these ncr adapters are
 > > on.
 >
 > 	Everything is on hose1.  Although the floppy shows up on
 > EISA on hose 0, but the kernel still boots at least.  Before, I
 > had the multi-NCR/DECchip card on hose0, one DAC960 on hose0, one
 > DAC960 on hose1 and one qlogic 1020 card on hose1 as well.
 >
 > 	The kernel wouldn't even boot like that, complaining
 > about no support for more than one hose or something.  So I
 > removed the qlogic card entirely, since I didn't need it, yanked
 > the video card (I'm on a serial console now) and squeezed the
 > other three cards into hose1.

Can you put everything on hose0 rather than hose1, or use the qlogic
card rather than the ncr?  There's something about how we encode hose
numbers in 4.x that breaks ncr/sym cards (this is no longer a problem
in 5.x).

 > 	Do you still need the output from show conf, or did I
 > answer your question?  And how will the serial console help to
 > capture the output easily?

You cut and paste from your terminal emulator, or console-server log
file. ;-)

In general, having direct output from the console is immensely useful
to those trying to help and, as a result, tends to generate much better
feedback for the person with the problem.

Drew