Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 08:53:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: DeskJet510 dvi driver

> > Why not TeX->dvips->gs ?
>
> I tried it, and it looks ugly!  (Well, with groff, I don't need the TeX-dvips
> line, I can generate PS, but with gs's fonts they are not so nice.)

Install GS4.0's fonts.  All the base fonts are quality PS fonts, and don't
degrade when large or small like the fonts that were released before it.

Basically, many of the fonts that came with earlier gs releases were
generated from bitmaps, with little or no hinting.  At large sizes, you
see the blockiness of the bitmap, and at small sizes the lack of hinting
causes small features to disappear.