Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:48:11 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hiren panchasara <hiren@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Newcomers page

Hello guys;

On 03/15/16 11:23, hiren panchasara wrote:
> + pfg to see if he has any inputs as he works actively with newcomers.
>
> On 03/14/16 at 11:31P, hiren panchasara wrote:
>> I see many kids (specially during GSoC time) come to hackers and ask:
>> "I am very enthusiastic and know C/C++, xyz and completely new to FreeBSD
>> but want to contribute. Where do I start? What should I do?"
>>
>> Is there a page which can provide answer to this question so we can
>> point them to the page?
>>
>> I found
>> https://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html
>>
>> It'd be nice if we could add:
>> 0) -questions and -hackers maling-lists as starting point for help.
>> 1) list of ircs that we hangout in on EFNet: bsddev, bsdmips,
>> freebsd-gsoc, freebsd-git
>> 2) bugzilla and how to search for interested keywords or bugs with patches
>> 3) Ideas wiki page
>>
>> Just my 2c.

I think the webpages are pretty good. The issue, as for the GSoC, is
that we are not being very effective about taking students by the hand
and guiding them into considering a FreeBSD project.

One issue is the visibility of the pages: we guide people into the
Projects ideas Wiki, but we have no idea if these people know what
FreeBSD is or how to make their background match what they should
be looking at doing.

The second issue is that most projects are too difficult for people
that have no experience with a a unix-like OS or even just linux.

It's probably too late to fix this for this GSoC but we need to
sort this out.

Pedro.