Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 17:25:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>, "Brandon S. Allbery  KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>, ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>, Matthew Gilbert <agilbertm@earthlink.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Ok, I have more information on Nils problem.  First of all, Soren's
>     patch greatly reduced the rate of corruption.  It took 25 loops of
>     Nils 'cp' test to generate the corruption.
>
>     However, Soren's patch did not fiix the corruption.  The same exact
>     corruption is occuring.  In Nils case it is always the same exact
>     location in VM -- a certain bit (or byte) in the middle of the nfsnode
>     hash table.  Hardware watch points indicate that the cpu is NOT modifying
>     this location, so I really doubt that it is a kernel bug.
>
>     From this and from reading a number of other postings about VIA chipsets
>     I believe that Soren's original patch (which I guess is the official
>     VIA chipset patch) does not completely solve the VIA chipset's problems.
>     I also believe, from reading some of the reference material that has
>     been posted, that this corruption is not limited to the 686[A/B] but
>     may also occur in earlier VIA chipsets.

Agreed, it looks like the "MWQ bug" isn't addressed by soren's patch.  The
decription at
http://www.networking.tzo.com/net/software/readme/faqvl019.htm
doesn't give enough info to patch it, but this post to the linux-kernel
mailing list seems to shed more light on what needs to be done:

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0112.0/1421.html

Perhaps someone on a faster connection than I can snag a copy of whatever
version of linux is current and see the exact patch that went in.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack