Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:04:52 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Max first parameter of a Select call?

Christiaan Keet wrote / a ecrit:

> How do you get the 'select' call in FreeBSD to be happy with something
> greater than 256 as a first parameter?
> Anything above this seems to give a "Select error 22 - invalid argument"

Not  a  reply,  just a followup: this "feature" seems to have a lot of
interesting  side  effects  on my machine (2.1-STABLE pre-earthquake).
When  I  set  user  resources  limits to hard limits ("unlimit" C-shell
command)  and  the  max  file descriptors goes >> 256, sudo no longer
works ("Password:" prompt exits immediately), fvwm sets system load at
1.0  permanently.  I  have  ktraced  fvwm and actually saw that select
returning an error. Everything goes back to normal when I set  max  fd
<= 256.

I pulled my hair for a while on this.

Why unlimiting ? for some reason on my machine maxproc per user is set
to  40  by  the  shell (tcsh) (despite MAXUSERS=64 in the config file)
which is just too low. I get frequent fork errors. Now I  unlimit  more
selectively :-)

_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE