Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:35:15 +0200
From:      Pieter de Boer <pieter@os3.nl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ::1 magically replaced with other address

Hullo,

On my 8.0-RELEASE-p1 system, my ::1 address on lo0 has been magically
replaced with a global routable IPv6 address I have configured on lo3.
This has happened two times with a week or so interval, without me doing
any ifconfigs. With `replaced' I mean that ::1 is simply gone from the
interface, although a route to it remains. Instead of ::1, one of the
addresses configured on lo3 is also there on lo0.

The address that ::1 is suddenly replaced with, is assigned to a jail
that has it assigned to a child jail. There are also other IPv6
addresses assigned to this jail and its child jail, but those don't show
up on lo0 all of a sudden: only one out of the set does.

My question is, has anyone seen anything like this or does anyone have a
clue how I could debug this? I cannot easily reboot the affected system
to add debugging statements to the kernel, etc, but perhaps there are
other ways?

Thanks,
Pieter