Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:47:37 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Abe Olson <abeolson23@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: winxp bootloader to boot Freebsd

Abe Olson wrote:

> I found these instructions:
> http://bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=88
>
> However I cannot get this to work.  This line in the insctructions
> returns a "device not configured" when I try to run this command.
>
> dd if=/dev/rad0a of=/mnt/bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1
>
> I'm sure that this assumes that the system is a dualboot on a single
> disk on a primary controller.  My system is an a7v133 and all my disks
> are on the promise controller.  My winxp disk is the primary master and
> my BSD disk is the secondary master.
>
> I tried changing the command to this:
>
> dd if=/dev/ad6s of=/mnt/bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1
>
> since df reports that my disk is ad6s.
>
> Could anyone help me with this please?  I don't really understand the
> bsd disk naming scheme so I'm stuck.

Have you read the article on multi-os systems at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/multi-os/index.html.
People are doing what you are so there is a solution out there.

I recognized the problems with using the second disk and made my / on
my first drive. Then, all you had to do is cp /boot/boot1 on to your
c-drive and add it to your boot.ini and you had the NTLDR. I was
always playing with NT4/W2K/XP and fighting the conversion was too
much work. I setup the NTLDR to do what I wanted and never had to
change anything when I added something on the MS side.

The only thing you have to is translate slices into partitions and you
have what you see on XP. I wanted them to start out at ad0 and ad1 and
configured my kernel to do that.

There is a speed advantage when it comes to doing things such as
buildworlds if you have the source and the output on different
controllers.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart