Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:10:32 -0400
From:      Ryan Sandridge <ryansandridge@ryansandridge.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuring imap-uw difficulties

This is my first post so go easy on me :-)
I'm relatively new to the FreeBSD world, but I've seen enough to favor
using the Ports collection over any other method.  I am running
4.8-RELEASE #0.  I installed /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw using 'make
install'.  After much confusion with OpenSSL, I finally got it working
(correctly I think) with all the defaults.  Oh, imap-uw version is
2002d,1.

My trouble is with changing some of the defaults.  Unless I'm missing
something, all configuration is done through re-compiling rather than a
configuration file.  Not my preference, but I can deal with that.  In
particular I modify .../src/osdep/unix/env_unix.c to change the mail
subdirectory name.

I thought after making this change, all I needed to do was '$ cd
/usr/ports/mail/imap-uw' then type '$ make' to rebuild it with the
changes.  But it seems to think it is up to date (so doesn't
recompile).  So perhaps my confusion is really due to lack of
understanding of the Ports system or of how to compile.

Thanks,
   Ryan