Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:08:37 -0500
From:      Jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
Cc:        rlurman@adelphia.net
Subject:   Re: New CPU

Chris wrote:

>On Monday 17 November 2003 02:46 pm, Rafi Lurman wrote:
>

>>Hi, I currently have FBSD 4.9 on a Celeron 950MHZ system. I plan to
>>replace both the motherboard and CPU on it to a 1.2GHZ AMD ATHLON. Will
>>I run into any problems if I did this? It's the same architecture. Would
>>I have to compile all my ports again under the new Athlon?
>>

>My install of 4.9 is doing very well under the XP 2100+
>I don't see any issueswith AMD's

Various config files might load the incorrect things.  For example I
remember there being a special work around for xfree or dri on an intel
chipset, the i810 I think.  If you change no software when you swap out
the mb the command startx might not work if you had to do this work
around.  Also check the /boot/loader.conf file for modules, if you did
not compile anything into the kernel. If you rebuilt the system from
source with any cpu or system specifc options you will need to rebuild
from source again.  Depending on the cpu options you system might run
fine or not boot at all.