Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:21:45 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   What's up with the legal status of RC4

I'm trying to implement encryption in PDF files ...

The PDF spec says to use RC4 to encrypt the data.  I've found some data on how
to do RC4 (perl & C) but there seems to (potentially) be a legal issue with
using it.

Anyone know the actual legal status of RC4?  Is it patented or anything.  Can
I legally implement it and sell software using it?  I've seen mention of ARC4
(the "Alleged RC4" algorithm) and it seems like mumbo-jumbo to keep folks out
of jail or court.  Anyone have any pointers to FAQs on this or know what's up?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies