Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 18:04:25 GMT
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   conferencing tools, Netmeeting, Communicator

I would like to get a picture of the conferencing tools
situation once more. There are solutions working in the Win32 field
now quite neatly, MS Netmeeting and Netscape Communicator
work in common - I tried it out herei (though not in depth).
MS Netmeeting has the additional feature that it allows to export
a remote Windows screen to the caller (a thing that X windows had
per se from it's initial design but it's quite unlikely that one will
be able to export a windows screen by means of these tools
to the X11 world - despite of looking at things like NTrigue or such)

I wonder if there could be made a working Communicator version
with audio/video now that Netscape will be releasing source code
for their browsers this quarter - they said.

What remains left for the unix world so far are then vic/vat/wb/sd
which are the choices in the high energy physics world (CERN)
at present but this may change also in a year or two when the NTmania
has taken over that field as well.

Under NT, btw, I had very satisfactory results with the cheapo (20 $)
Opti 931 based ISA sound cards allowing full duplex.
BTW, what is the status of support for the Opti 931
chipset (Luigi?) I once learned this chipset to be broken but
seeing how these cards works nicely with dual DMA under NT I wonder
if this 'brokeness' is just a lack of knowledge of hoe to circumvent
perhaps certains flaws of the chipset by programming kludges - dunno.

Comments?