Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org, simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: alpha/12623: strtod(3) FPE on alphaev56

Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, John Polstra wrote:
>
>> Yes, or the equivalent "-mieee".  In my opinion, all of the libraries
>> (if not the whole world) should be compiled that way.  In fact, this
>> option should be the default.  Users who wanted a little extra speed
>> and who knew what they are doing could turn it off.
>
> I agree (at least as far as the libraries go). Setting it as default would
> be easy but there are performance implications. On the other hand, the
> only applications whose performance is affected are ones using floating
> point..

Yes, I think "correct by default" would be more in keeping with the
FreeBSD tradition than "fast but possibly wrong by default".  So I
still think -mieee should be used for everything.

My only real concern about making it the compiler default is that it
causes us to deviate from standard egcs a little bit more.  But the
deviation would be confined to "egcs/config/alpha/freebsd.h", which is
probably OK.  I think we should add a "-mno-ieee" option to disable
it, too.  That's not hard.

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron