Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 03:29:43 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
To:        "Bror 'Count' Heinola" <count@key.hole.fi>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD with 100Mbit ethernet card?

>David Greenman taisi sanoa:
>>
>>    Can you clarify about "can't transmit very fast"? I get excellent
>> performance with the card myself - I'm using them in all of the machines
>> I have here.
>
>	Well, when I transfer files from an Ultra 1 with fast ethernet I
>	can 'put' them at over 5Mbytes/sec but when I 'get' them from
>	the BSD box they don't come faster than about 1.5Mbytes/sec.
>
>	Did you see my mail about it in freebsd-hardware? I'm forwarding
>	it to you anyway...

   Just finished reading it. It's really hard to say where the performance
problem is coming from. ping isn't a very good benchmark utility for a variety
of reasons. For one, it tends to cause an excessively large number of
collisions. ping -f is also sort of synchronous - from the manual page:

     -f      Flood ping.  Outputs packets as fast as they come back or one
             hundred times per second, whichever is more.  For every

   This will likely defeat any streaming that could otherwise occur. I usually
use 'ttcp' for benchmarking, but other TCP/UDP benchmarks utilities are also
available (I think 'tcpblast' is in the ports tree).

-DG

David Greenman