Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:22:36 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Tim Walker <tim@cyberghost.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with NATD!?!

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Tim Walker wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD as my network's gateway to the Internet and am
> trying to pass Web traffic through to a server on my internal network
> (FreeBSD machine has a routable IP address and the internal web server
> has a non-routable address).
>
> It is working fine from the outside world, but from machines on my
> internal network they always end up on the FreeBSD webserver.

Where does your DNS live? If the DNS returns the outside interface's IP,
your Web-client will get directed to your FreeBSD box (which I assume
is your default-gateway), and since it's also on the inside network,
the IP packets will have reached where they have been directed.

A possible solution is to maintain an internal DNS (that everyone will
be using internally) that returns the internal webserver's IP address.

Jonathan Chen