Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:07:12 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Make variables both input and output?

Hi,

What are the conventions with respect to make variables? Is it okay for a
variable to be both input and output? Example (fake, assuming we already have
a bsd.java.mk):

   USE_JAVA=       YES
   JAVA_VERSION=   1.2

  .include <bsd.port.pre.mk>

  xxxx JAVA_VERSION xxxxxx    <--- JAVA_VERSION is now
                                     1.2.2b10

Would this be legal or preferred? Or would using a separate variable for
input and one for output be preferred?

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ