Date:      Fri, 06 Oct 1995 10:29:44 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Alan Byrne <alan@niceguy.isocor.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File Corruption Problem

>Hi all,
>
>I'm seeing a strange problem with some files getting corrupted on a
>FreeBSD disk.
>
>The machine in question is running 2.0.5-950622-SNAP.
>
>My setup is as follows
>
>P5-90 (running 2.0.5-950622-SNAP)
>32MByte Memory
>Bus Logic BT946 PCI SCSI controller.
>Seagate ST15150N 4GByte SCSI Disk ( RCS tree on this disk)
>Quantum VP32210 2Gbyte SCSI Disk
>SMC PCI Network card (Digital DC21040 Ethernet chip)

If your motherboard has a neptune chipset, it is most likely a
Busmastering problem with your ethernet card.  I've seen that on
a lot of our systems here, but its really exacerbated if your
running a 100Mb/s network.  We've upgraded all of those machines
to ASUS triton motherboards, and the problems went away.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM