Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 07:50:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/23129: X Window display covers only a portion of the computer screen.

The following reply was made to PR misc/23129; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: mark_brissette@yahoo.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:36:39 +0200

 On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 07:29:04AM -0800, mark_brissette@yahoo.com wrote:

 > >Number:         23129
 > >Category:       misc
 > >Synopsis:       X Window display covers only a portion of the computer screen.
 > >Originator:     Mark W. Brissette
 > When I start the X Window System, the graphical display only covers part
 > of the screen on my laptop (an old Micron Millennia Transport). I've
 > tried both "800x600" and "640x480" for dimensions in /etc/XF86Config, but
 > I still can't get the X display to fill the entire screen. Using "1024x760"
 > hangs the system. My chipset is Cirrus7xxx. I'm not sure how to set the horiz.
 > and vert. sync numbers. I've played around with them a little bit, but the
 > display size does not change, even though I have discovered how to make
 > a "virtual" console (where the entire area of the X display is not all
 > shown on the screen at once. You have to move the mouse beyond the edge
 > of the display to get to the edges and the corners.

 Laptops do not use CRT (a cathode-ray tube) to build up the screen image.
 They use a fixed matrix of pixels.  Thus, the horizontal and vertical
 refresh frequencies do not in any way apply - you cannot stretch or shrink
 a physical element of the TFT matrix :)

 Unfortunately, this means that you're stuck with 800x600, just as I am
 on my Asus (don't have the model handy right now) :(

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks of your brain.