Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:53:26 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <data@irev.net>
To:        "David Erickson" <erickson@mddsg.com>, "Jeff Fulton" <jefff@fulton.net.au>, "Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe" <mitayai@dreaming.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   DHCP beats MAC Address

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Erickson" <erickson@mddsg.com>
To: "Jeff Fulton" <jefff@fulton.net.au>; "Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe"
<mitayai@dreaming.org>
Cc: <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2000 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: MAC Address

> Exactly My cablemodem can be moved to another machine by reseting it.  But
> once communication has started with that MAC address it will not listen.
> Implementing VRRP wont do what I want because it still see the MAC address
> of the primary machines nic not the vrrp mac address.  But Im trying to
put
> in place a little redundancy and the only way I can come up with is by
> monitoring on a seperate ethernet crossover between machines and when it
> stops responding  to traffic over that link then I would assume the other
> machines MAC address.  Similar to VRRP with the VRRP mac address  being
> shared between multiple machines but only one machine using it at a time
as
> the gateway.
>
> Dave

Indeed, the cable modem does remember your MAC address, HOWEVER, rather than
resetting it, if you use DHCP, and you're using one of the services like
@Home that has an account number for the address, like CX13245125-A, then
the second computer to DHCP with the account number gets the address without
resetting.  So when I'm done using my desktop computer, and I plug in my
laptop, the laptop DHCPs with the same account number, and gets the IP
without resetting and resyncing.  Of course my desktop computer has to be
off, because it still has a valid DHCP lease on the IP.